Despite a two-run homer by Trevor Plouffe in the 6th that tied the game at 3-3, the Twins still managed to drop another one, this time a 5-3 defeat to Baltimore. The O’s scored a pair of runs off reliever Kevin Jepsen with two outs in the top of the 9th for the gamewinners as Minnesota lost for the sixth straight time.
- THE TWINS were defeated by the Orioles for the fourth time this season…the loss extends their losing streak to six games…they are 7-4 against the Orioles since the start of 2015…the Twins are now 2-10 when scoring first in a game and 6-9 at Target Field this season…they fall to 4-8 in series openers and 7-19 vs. Right-handed starters…allowed back-to-back home runs for the second time on the season.
- JOSE BERRIOS went 5.0 innings, allowing three runs on eight hits with one walk and six strikeouts…allowed back-to-back home runs in the fifth inning (Machado and Jones), it was the second straight start he has allowed two home runs…allowed a career-high eight hits…has recorded at least five strikeouts in all three career starts.
- EDUARDO NUNEZ (1-for-3) extended his hitting streak to nine games with a single in the first inning, the nine games is a career-high…during the streak, he is hitting .324 (11-for-34) with four doubles, one home run, two RBI and four runs scored.
- BRIAN DOZIER (2-for-4) started his first game since May 4th in Houston…extended his hitting streak to four games and during the streak is hitting .533 (8-for-15) with a double, four RBI and two walks…picked up his seventh multi-hit game on the season…scored his team-leading 16th run on the season.
- TREVOR PLOUFFE (2-for-3) hit his sixth double of the season; leads Twins in doubles (81) and came into the day tied-4th in the American League, since 2014…hit his third home run of the season…knocked in three RBI, first game with three RBI since September 9, 2015 vs. CWS…third time this season a Twins batter has recorded three RBI in a game (Dozier 2x).
- JOE MAUER (0-for-3) batted leadoff for the first time in his career; had 5,532 plate appearances before tonight’s first at-bat…walked in the fifth inning and now has reached base safely in 29 of 32 games this season and 79 of 84 games dating back to August 7, 2015.