For the second straight day the Twins grabbed an early lead only to give way to big Yankee bats as New York rolled to a 7-2 win at Target Field. The Yanks erupted for 6 runs in the 6th inning, five of which came off of starter Kyle Gibson who had only allowed one in the first five innings.
THE TWINS fell to 15-15-2 in series play with their 7-2 loss Sunday afternoon… they are now 8-3 in their last 11 games at Target Field…Minnesota is still 13-6 against the AL East, one win away from matching their 2014 output when they went 14-18…the Twins fell to 6-8 in rubber games, 18-14 in series finales and 33-31 against right-handed starters…the six-run sixth inning tied a season high for most runs allowed in an inning by the Twins, done four other times, the last being the first inning June 26 at Milwaukee.
- KYLE GIBSON took his second consecutive loss after giving up six runs on six hits in 5.1 innings…he has given up 12 runs over 10.1 innings in two starts since the All-Star break (had a 2.85 ERA pre-ASG)…he held the Yankees scoreless over the first four innings before giving up a run in the fifth inning and five more in the sixth…in four career starts against the Yankees, Gibson has a 10.70 ERA (17.2 IP, 21 ER)…he has lost each of his three career outings against New York at Target Field, with a 13.50 ERA (12.2 IP, 19 ER)…Gibson held the Yankees to 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position…Gibson has had held opponents to a .190 (20-for-105) average with runners in the scoring position this season, after coming in to today with the fourth lowest runners in scoring position average in the AL.
- JOE MAUER (1-for-4) has hit safely in 16 of his last 17 games with an at-bat, hitting .333 (23-for-69) with six doubles, two home runs, four RBI and nine runs scored in that span…in fact, he has now hit safely in eight straight games with an at-bat, matching his season-high, done July 4-11…lastly, Mauer has hits in 10 of his last 11 games with an at-bat against the Yankees.
- AARON HICKS (2-for-3) singled and scored the game’s first run in the third inning…he has now hit safely in 13 of his last 17 games, hitting .339 (19-for-56) with two doubles, one triple, three home runs, nine RBI and 11 runs scored in that span…additionally, he has reached base safely in 14 straight home games…Hicks is hitting .329 (26-for-79) in 25 home games compared to batting .211 (16-for-76) in 22 road games.
- TREVOR PLOUFFE (1-for-4) knocked in his 55th run of the season, matching Dozier for the most team…he had a career-high 80 RBI last season and is on pace to drive in 91 this season.
- BRIAN DOZIER (2-for-3) reached base three times for the second straight game, and the 12th time this season.
- MIGUEL SANO (1-for-4) has a hit in 13 of his first 18 career games…reached base in 16 of his 18 career games.